|Textures play a predominant role in this salad, which combines crisp, green mango and tender steak.
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 10 sprigs cilantro, stemmed (reserve stems)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 12 ounces sirloin steak, trimmed of fat
- Inner leaves from 1 small Bibb lettuce, washed and dried
- 1 small, firm, ripe mango, peeled, cut from the pit, and diced
- 4 large green onions, including light green parts, diced
|In a food processor, combine the garlic, cilantro stems, salt, pepper, and 2 tbps of oil. Pulse to make a smooth paste. Spread on both sides of the steak. In a large, skillet, cook the steak 3 to 4 minutes on each side for medium rare. Remove from the pan and let cool. Cut the steak into thin strips. Divide the lettuce leaves among 4 plates and arrange the mango, cucumber, green onions, and strips on top. Dressing : In a small bowl, combine the ingredients and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Serve: drizzle salad with dressing and scatter the reserved cilantro leaves over the top.